Thursday, June 05, 2014

Trying New Things: Yarn Cakes (by Hand)

155/365

I finally made a center-pull ball of yarn, with my hands! Well, the three glue-sticks taped together helped as well. I've wanted to have center-pull balls of yarn instead of the store-bought skeins, but never really had the motivation to until Haute Knit Yarn posted on instagram about a flash sale.

"Hold up," I thought to myself. "I need this yarn. At $6.50 less than usual, why not?? Isn't being a knitter all about trying new yarns?" So, with that, I made my first Etsy purchase. It arrived within a few days, and has been sitting in my room ever since. I finally got pictures of it today for my stash on ravelry, which meant I could finally get it wound up. I haven't decided which pattern I'm using this with quite yet, but I've got a pretty good idea. I'm definitely thinking a cowl or infinity scarf.

My first experience winding my own yarn cake: I will do it again. As much as I would love to buy that $18 wool winder on Amazon (hint, hint...my birthday is in a few months...just saying...), I can't bring myself to do it. I definitely think I will start winding all my yarn up like this, just for a fresh look.

- rl

(p.s. this is part of my 14 goals for 2014. You can view all my goals here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment