Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Current Situation: One Year Later


It has been a year since this blog post, which is my most viewed post so far. It's been 364 days and eight hours (give or take) since I wrote that post, so here's what this year's situation is:

I am going to college this fall! While I have not technically paid my school bill yet, I have the money for it. I haven't paid it because I have to change my insurance plan or something on it, and I'm honestly just too tired to deal with that right now. I'm fairly certain we can do that when we get there, so that's when it will happen.

So am I glad I stayed home for a year and just worked? Yes. The introvert in me is about full, I think, so now I'm ready to get moving and see things. There have been so many little things I would not have been able to experience if I had gone to school. I have grown exponentially from working. I've made some fantastic friends through work. I regret not getting a second job, but I can't change that now.

Today I went to REI with one of my mom's coworkers who lived in Chicago during college, and she gave me fantastic tips on layering for the weather. It's going to involve lots of online sale stalking, but I have a few months before I really need the gear. While we were out she also gave me solid tips on using the el and general safety tips.

Regarding a job once I'm there, I have already applied for one on-campus job, and if I don't get that then I'll apply for more once I get there. I have also spoken to the operator of the Chick-fil-A I work out and he is going to help me connect with the store near Moody when I'm ready.

What am I most nervous about? It's not my safety or the cold, but the academics. I did not ever really care about my grades in high school, but I think, after some adjustment time, I should be able to get a good routine down that works for me.

We leave in 4.5 days. It has not sunk in yet. While my closet is packed up and my room is in disarray, it still does not feel real. I have thought about this school every day for a solid three years now - that's over 1,000 days! I have not visited the campus, so I'm eagerly awaiting my first sight of it. I have the maps almost memorized, so I don't think I'll be too confused, at least not regarding which building is which.

Please pray for us during this time. I say "us" because it's an adjustment for a lot of people. First and foremost, the health for everyone. Then for our vehicle, which is our van, nearing the 200,000 mile mark. Stan (our name for the van) will need lots of prayer to make it there and back! And, of course, for my classmates. I believe most international students have either started their journey to Moody, or will be in a few short days. (They move in before the regular new student orientation). Then for everyone else as we flock to the great city of Chicago next week.

- rl

No comments:

Post a Comment