Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Project 14/52: Helix Hat


I love this hat!! It's a bit LOUD for my personality, but I love it! I was a bit intimidated to try this pattern out, but it ended up being insanely simple. What makes it different from just a regular hat is that I used two skeins of yarn to knit it. I used yarn A, then dropped that yarn and knit the next round with yarn B, and so on. SUPER simple.

It is, like a lot of other projects I've done recently, from Margaret Radcliffe's Circular Knitting Workshop. It's a very simple pattern. The page right before it has all sorts of details on helix knitting, which is awesome because it's one of the things I haven't seen much about on the web. In fact, I just searched "helix" on ravelry and there is only about a page and a half of results and only a few of those involve actual helix knitting.

I actually made a modification to this pattern! I decided to not do the rolled brim and made it ribbed instead. Which means the needle size on the ribbing was two sizes smaller than the body, but it also means I ended up doing about three rows of the body in the smaller needle size. Thankfully, however, this hat is only for me and I can hardly tell the difference. I did mess up for the first few rows of the body, however, which can be seen in the second to last picture. I somehow wrapped the non-variegated yarn in a certain way that it showed on the outside...but then it didn't do it later on.

I will definitely knit this hat again. I really want to knit a blueish version of this one of these days. Right now, however, I am learning all these basic skills and busting the tiny stash I have accumulated.

- rl

(p.s. this is part of my 14 goals for 2014. You can view all my goals here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment