Thursday, February 27, 2014

What I Read This Month


So, I did a lot of reading this month. I hit a bit of a knitting slump, so instead I dived into reading.

I've decided to count the number of books on here instead of goodreads, because of technical reasons that are probably a bit boring to most, but can be basically summed up into the fact that they count books you read in a weird way.

So, here are the books I completed this month:
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Like I mentioned last month, I just don't like this book. Everyone else seems to, but it's just too much for me. I know it's a fiction and a dystopian, but it's still unrealistic. I'm so glad to be done with it. (Also, I'm not considering this the first book read in 2014 because I technically started it in 2013. I'm a detail-oriented person, obviously.)
1. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
The first book I started and finished in 2014! I think it was slightly better than Insurgent. A bit more interesting, for sure.
2. Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 by Robin Jones Gunn
I never know how to count these books, because each volume has three books that were originally published separately, but republished together. These are my favorite books, for sure. This was probably my third or fourth time to read them, and I love it more every time.
3. Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2 by Robin Jones Gunn
This volume contains one of my favorite of the series, and also my least favorite.
4. Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 by Robin Jones Gunn
The second book of this volume has one of the best endings. Also, Philippians 1:7 (:
5. Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4 by Robin Jones Gunn
This volume also rocks. Just some pretty cool God-things!
6. Christy and Todd: The College Years by Robin Jones Gunn
When you read this volume of the college year books and compare it to the first few books, it's amazing how much Christy has grown up. Also, it makes me determined that if/when I travel Europe someday, I'm going to take it slow and have somewhat of a plan.
7. Beautiful by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma
This book ended up much better than I expected. It was seeming a bit cheesy at first, but it surprised me. I was expecting it to be a bit more focused on God, but it actually lacked a bit in that area. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but her final conclusion didn't really involve some big epiphany.
8. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Obviously, this is a book I've heard tons about for years now. I try to shy away from hugely popular books, just because they end up being too cheesy for my liking, but I liked this one. I already knew the ending, so that took away a bit of the fun of guessing. I started this on my day off, so it's not like I had much to do, so I ended up finishing it in about eight hours. And now I'm kinda stuck on what I want to read next, so I'm rereading it until I go to Half Price Books/my best friend's vast collection this weekend.

& the books I'm still working on going into next month:
- Technically, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I'm rereading it, which always seems like a good idea, then I get 20 pages in & don't actually want to reread so soon after. Alas, I'm going to complete it for a second time because it's still such a quick read.
- One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I can't believe I'm still reading this book. It's just so deep and I'm having the hardest time getting through it. I'm determined to finish it next month, and now I know that the next time I read it (because I DO want to reread it) I will do so with at least one other person, and maybe then I'll be able to understand things a bit more.

- rl

Previous What I Read This Month posts:
January 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment