Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Benefits of Being Awkward

I took this while we were in San Antonio, because, seriously, who doesn't always need a new profile picture?

When I read this post last month, I had just started work at Chick-fil-A. I could relate to the post. Not because I'm a photographer (although I have already had a good amount of people ask me to take photos of their family after this post. That offer is still good, by the way!), but because of this line,

"my awkwardness helps me see awkwardness in others during uncomfortable situations...and I'm well suited to ease it."

I'm not the only awkward person. There are plenty of others, and they come up for food. When I think a guest feels awkward or uncomfortable, I speak differently to them. Not in a negative way, of course, but I try to make sure they feel comfortable. It's hard to explain. For one, I make sure I listen closely so that they don't have to repeat themselves. Obviously, I listen as intently as I can for every guest, but some people don't mind if they have to repeat themselves. I just know that for me, I look at myself negatively when the person I'm getting food, or anything else, from doesn't hear me. Sometimes we both end up feeling awkward, which is hard.

But, whatever the situation, I'm thankful to be awkward now that I see the benefits.

- rl

No comments:

Post a Comment