Sunday, November 02, 2014

Self Portrait (44/52)


While it would be respectful of me to say that I sat in bed yesterday like a good student and finished this book then wrote the report with plenty of time left in the day, the reality is that I read for a little while, then FaceTimed with my family. Well, we were on FaceTime, but talked on the phone because it kept disconnecting and we couldn't hear each other. Ghetto, perhaps, but worth it.

While on the phone with them, I remembered that Nik Wallenda's walk across the river was tonight! I had wanted to go, but none of my friends were available, so I decided to post about it in our bro/sis Facebook group. Thankfully, one of the girls on my floor texted me not long after and said she was there. It only took a little deliberation with Ally to decide to go, so I grabbed the essentials and booked it to the river.

Once I got down there it was a little crazy, but really not too busy. It was only difficult trying to figure out how to get to the loop side because they had some sidewalks blocked off, but eventually I figured it out and was able to meet up with my friend. I got there about six, which was when the broadcast began. We saw him testing the wire not long after that, yet he didn't start walking until 7:30. We were able to get a few updates from those we knew watching on TV or online.

It was pretty surreal to see it in person. His first walk, at a 15 degree incline, went over the river from Marina City's West Tower to the Leo Burnett Building. We could see his feet moving! Very smooth. It hurt my neck to look up for those six minutes, but it was definitely worth it. Once he finished, some headed back to campus because we didn't know how long it would be until the next walk, but I stayed with a few others that booked it over to a better spot so we could see the second walk, which involved him going back to the West Tower (by car..he didn't walk back over) and crossing to the East Tower while BLINDFOLDED. We watched from under the el, but it happened so fast.

We headed back to campus, stopping at Subway for dinner. I took Ally her Subway dinner, ended up watching half a movie with Leslie and Marika, then finished the book and finished my paper. I didn't go to bed until 3:45, but it was worth it to see Nik Wallenda!

- rl

(p.s. this is part of my 14 goals for 2014. You can view all my goals here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment