Monday, March 17, 2014

Project 09/52: V-Neck Vest

Can you see the part where I used the three-needle bind off? It's the part where the front and the back come together...it looks sewed, but it's not!
A weird part of the cheap yarn that - thankfully! - was on the inside.

I did it! I knit my first garment! Oh my, I am so ecstatic.

It was difficult. Looking at it completed, with all these new skills learned, it's a bit difficult to remember what parts I found so challenging, but it really was at some times. The three-needle bind off to attach the two sides was definitely a part I thought would be confusing but was actually really simple. Picking up stitches, however, sucks. I definitely got better by the last time I had to do it, but I still don't like it.

If/when I knit it again...
1: I will not use two pieces of yarn held together. I think that made it a tad wide. I probably could have used just one strand and simply gone down in needle size to get it to work better. Perhaps I should start making gauges...
2: I will count how many rows I do on the armholes. For example, the left armhole was three rounds and then the bind-off, but the right armhole was four rounds and then the bind-off round. I definitely could have pulled out the right armhole, but the thought of knitting it again made me want to cry, so I didn't.

This was my second project from Margaret Radcliffe's Circular Knitting Workshop. The instructions were so clear, which makes me even more happy that I made this purchase. I'm definitely excited to work my way through all of these projects, even if it takes me a year. I'm determined to not buy another knitting book (unless I find a cheap one at Half Price Books or something, of course...) until I've completed each of these projects.

- rl

(p.s. this is part of my 14 goals for 2014. You can view all my goals here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment