Thursday, October 03, 2013

Upcycling, of Sorts

 

The first time I can recall seeing magazine reeds was in Earthbound. They had them surrounding picture frames, and it inspired me to give it a try. I did some googling, and got to it. I don't remember the order in which I made things, but I've kept a few of them, which can be seen in the first two pictures.

The first one is simple: reeds hot glued to a can. I currently use it to store hot glue sticks. The second thing took a bit more time. It's a Converse shoe box, and I decided to cover the lid with reeds. It just stores string for when I'm in a mood to make bracelets, which is pretty rare, considering that I usually end up frustrated that I can't get past the one simple knot I know how to do, but that rant is for a whole other day. I've made a few other things too - like a picture frame - but I've gifted those so I don't have any pictures.

The other day I saw a post on instagram of someone making a trash can with reeds rolled up. I've seen it done before and considered trying it out, but I already have two trash cans so I just don't see the need. I was wanting to work with them again today, though, so I started making some more reeds. I think I may attempt to make a weaved basket, but we'll see.

If you couldn't already tell, I like to craft a little bit. Whether or not I decide to make something depends on two things, though: if it's worth the cost/time AND if it's useful. I wouldn't consider it upcycling like I did in the title of this post, but more like cheap. I just hate spending money on things.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of saying all this was, I just felt like sharing what I'm up to creatively. I've been knitting and unraveling a lot, because I cannot decide on what to make, but I want to keep my hands busy. I also want to attempt quilting the project I mentioned here, but I don't know if we have the right supplies to do the actual sewing and quilting. I want to loom, but don't want to spend money on yarn that will be made into something that will just sit there. And then I also want to improve my minimal crochet skills, paint, cross stitch, and just make art in general. Although I'm sure these things will be pushed back even more than usual as I started my first job on Wednesday. I now work with my sister at Chick-fil-A, so that will be fun. I spilled lemonade on myself my first day, so it can only go uphill from here, right?

- rl

No comments:

Post a Comment