Friday, August 29, 2014

What I Read This Month


Now is when my reading slows. After reading a solid 30 books over the last few months, it was only inevitable. I was really working hard to get lots of books finished so I could relax about my reading this fall. So, without further ado, the books I read this month:

40. Just One Day (Just One Day #1) by Gayle Forman
It feels like a lifetime since I read this book. I'm pretty sure I didn't like this book, seeing as how I gave it three stars.
41. Paige Torn (Paige Alder #1) by Erynn Mangum
42. Paige Rewritten (Paige Alder #2) by Erynn Mangum
43. Paige Turned (Paige Alder #3) by Erynn Mangum
This series was different than Mangum's previous two that I have read. She broke away from her regular formula, and I'm not so sure I liked it. It definitely felt too drawn out, and probably could have been just two books. Once again, it's been a little while since I read these, like a lot has happened, so maybe I'm not remembering it correctly...but they definitely weren't my favorite of her series.
44. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Weird name, yes, but excellent book! Oh, man, I already want to reread it. I was pretty skeptical as to how this book could possibly be good since it is so contemporary, but it was so good! It has depth, too, which I love.
45. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
I think I liked this book. It picked up pretty quickly, which I liked. I kept forgetting the year it was set, so it threw me off when they mentioned tapes, etc. Both Eleanor and Park seemed a lot younger to me than what they were supposed to be. I know they were supposed to be 16 or so, but they seemed more like 14 or 15. I gave it 4/5 stars, which means I wouldn't mind rereading it, but more than likely won't. I do recommend it, however!
45. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Love. Seriously, how cool of a name is Cricket?!

The books I gave up on this month:
Raging Star (Dust Lands #3) by Moira Young
No. Just no. It was so boring, so I finally had to just look up the spoiler-y reviews on goodreads. I have no regrets.
- Just One Year (Just One Day #2) by Gayle Forman
I may have gotten 30 pages into this when I realized that yes, really, this book is Just One Day but from his perspective. No. Just no.
- Every Day by David Levithan
Boring. And the reviews on goodreads seem to pretty much say the same thing.
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
I was not expecting to dislike this book, but it was just written cooky, which I did not feel like dealing with, so to the spoilers I went. And, honestly, it seemed to be a pretty lame ending, so I'm glad I dodged that bullet.
- Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
This is one I may go back and read eventually, but just wasn't feeling it at the time. This one had to go back with my family when they left Chicago so it could be returned to the library, and it seemed like a read that would require a little bit of thought which I wasn't really up for right around move-in day.
- One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
I finally gave up on this one, which is crazy since it seems as though everyone else loves it, but I just didn't. It got way too wordy and I haven't been able to finish it for months so it had to return to the bookshelf and I'll try again later.

And the book I'm reading going into September:
- A Royal Match by Tyne O'Connell
I was decently excited for this book before I figured out the main character is, like, 15. She's kind of annoying, but I want to know what happens.

Now I'm exhausted and I just want to sleep. But I think my total book count for the summer is 30 or so, depending on when you want to say summer started. It's 30 books in three months, however, which is a pretty good amount, if I do say so myself!

- rl

Previous What I Read This Month posts:
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment