Wednesday, May 25, 2016

(Healthy?) Strawberry Oatmeal Bars


I was first drawn to this recipe because I was curious how strawberries and oatmeal would taste together. I read the instructions through a few times before gathering the ingredients and I wasn't sure whether or not I would add the glaze on top. They are advertised as 100 calories each, but that is only if you cut them into 16 squares (I did 9) and if you don't add the glaze (I ended up adding it). I went in expecting them to be 100 calorie breakfast bars, when in reality they're probably at least 200 calories and taste more like a dessert.

I was talking to a friend from school last night and when I mentioned all the cooking I've been doing (which is not particularly usual for me) she remembered me posting pictures of these bars and commented on how good they looked. She wasn't wrong. I think these look so, so tasty, but I was kind of disappointed by them. I'm not sure if I added too much glaze or something, but they are very squishy and fall apart easily. I think that I was confusing oatmeal and granola's unique consistencies. I have eaten the bars alone, but mostly have been adding it to my oatmeal each morning.

I may end up making these again sometime if someone mentions that they'd like to try them, but I don't necessarily see them as something I'll be craving in the future.

- rl

No comments:

Post a Comment